Point Release (3.12)Assassin TC Changes Focus
It's in Activision's testers hands right now. That means we should be able to release it Real Soon Now. Looks like Zoid is on track too.
The Assassin TC is changing focus. It is now going to be "Soldier VS Sniper", a deathmatch only mod similar to TeamFortress. You can be a soldier or a sniper, each having his/her own weapons, characteristics, and advantages/disadvantages. There will also be teamplay modes, such as Snipers vs Soldiers or Red team vs Blue team. Help of all kinds needed. Please contact me at email@example.com.New Quake2 Site Opens
"the client is 90% done, just need to finalize the recording code. Server code isn't very far, but here's the lowdown on how it's going to implemented:Hosted Sites Updates
A seperate linked in .LIB (.SO) with .H file Menu code, like RA2's (wow!) EASY importing to a project, so mod authors don't have to go through Odysseus's trials to get this in their code. Simply call a few functions and it works. Boom. Something like in the g_cmds.c where it processes cmd , you'd call QV_ProcessCMD and it'd do it's special thing. Server options will be written to a .INI (or such) file, so server ops can set them once (via the menus, with a password) and they save themselves. But those are AFTER we get it to our initial beta testers and before the public beta."
JawMD2, the rocking Quake2 model viewer/skin previewer has been released to 1.28, with added features.
Shattered Art has moved over to those guys at PlanetQuake. BadPeon's Gaming News has moved to LogicQuest.
Quake2 Comics is a new site that hosts...well...Quake2 comics!
Moltar Interactive, makers of the upcoming Anarchy TC, have posted screenshots of their work up on their page. There's a review of the new Quake2 TC, Juggernaut, up at the AVault. You can visit it here. Go check this out if you've been debating weather or not to buy this, as they cover many aspects of the game.
This is to let you know I have started a petition to be sent to ID Software. A Petition to have the "fun names" brought back, entitled "Do you think id Software should reconsider "fun names" in Quake2? I would appreciate it if you could post this in your news. I will continue to add to the petition for a few more days, and will be sending it away. The petition is located at the QNM website here: http://qnm.telefragged.com The response has already been overwhelming, and was tempted to not even make this announcement, but what the heck.LinQuake Logo Contest
The slogans must be 100% original. 100% ORIGINAL. The contest ends Friday (I know, little time to prepare, but we need to get these shirts to press), so get to thinking! The shirts will also be open to the public to order...but more on that later (soon). Any slogan submissions can be sent to me.
Life's Hard...Frag A Friend
Feel the Love Kill Pixels Not People Total Peace Through Cyberviolence
The Bot Epidemic has been updated with the current news on ALL Quake2 bots. Any questions? They're the ones to turn to.
Battle of the Sexes mod has gone through yet ANOTHER version change. Go see what kind of improvements have been made, and features added (some very important).
1. To convert the original Q2 dll code from C to a totally C++ version. Including conversions of both data structures and member functions.You can reach their site to learn more by following this link.
2. Impelmentation of a plugin / socket based extension structure. The new completed dll will have a plugin manager ( the socket ) that will enablemod developers to create weapons and creatures ( the plugin ) without modifiying the core code ( the loader ). So when implemented, for example a creature with 2 weapon sockets will be able to be equiped with any weapon dll of the users choice. The creature itself will fit into a creature socket, which will dynamicly load all of the creatures for the mod. Allowing more modularity for the mod developer, by just manipulation of precompiled dlls, also allowing people to mix and match their favorite weapons / creatures / player options / bots.
Well, this morning I added some basic import/export routines to support 3DS and TRI files. (I used some other code left over from MedDLe. Very nice.) Anyway, I need to play with generating skin texture coordinates for them, and then I'll post an update. Hopefully, with the advent of skin coordinate generation, we can also implement object creation from the editor itself! We'll see how it all goes.PlanetQuake Does PGL
And here's the BIG scoop on the Battle of the Sexes version update:
Blackeye Entertainment, the folks working on the Chronos TC, have updated their page with their progress on their status page. Go check out this exciting new TC.
the page for the model viewerJawMD2 has been updated with news, and a promise of a new version soon.
Battle of the Sexes v2.3Phew :-).
New to this version are new abilities and tools to make fraggin just that much more fun:
1) Sniper gets 3 silent alarms that can be placed on walls to signal when enemy players are approaching using the "alarm" command. When an enemy gets near an alarm a message is displayed to the Sniper and team Captain(s) indicating which alarm was triggered and the class and name of the player triggering the alarm. The enemy will not see that they have triggered an alarm unless they see the alarm attached to the wall. If more than one enemy triggers the alarm at the same time, they will all be listed. When the Sniper dies the alarms self destruct. 50 cells are required to place an alarm.
2) Bodyguard can now place defense lasers using the "laser" command. Once placed, the laser can be turned off and on using "laseron" and "laseroff". However, if the laser is left on for more than 15 seconds it will self destruct. 50 cells are required to build a laser and only one laser can be built at a time. When the Bodyguard dies the laser self destructs. You can also destroy the laser manually by using the "laserkill" command if you don't like the laser placement. However, you will need 50 more cells to build a new one. The laser will be the color of the Bodyguard's team's color.
3) Bodyguard has new "decoy" command that allows them to glow like his/her team's color to draw off an attack by confusing the enemy. The glow lasts for 20 seconds.
4) Nurses get flash grenades. The flash grenades will explode 1 second after throwing them or if they touch an enemy. You will be informed if you momentarily blinded the enemy. The enemy has to be looking at the flash grenade in order to be blinded. The effects wear off after about 2 seconds. The effect can be immediately cured by jumping in the water.
5) Whenever a Berzerker issues the "scout" command, the results are also displayed on the team captain's screen. The Captain can request the Berzerker to scout to determine the makeup of the enemy team(s).
6) Added "autoid" command that turns on the automatic display of the information of the player you are looking at.
7) Added "scorelimit" server variable to end the game when a team score reaches the limit
8) Updated Entity files for maps listed in "VOTE.LST"
9) Lowered taunt limit to 5 per minute
1) Sniper sight is now accurate for left handed and center settings
2) Fixed intermittent problem of maps not loading properly after voting
Well...here goes nothing. Anything you see wrong with this please let me know via e-mail. This text really only helps with map JB2, but that's all that anyone ever uses right now. Other than that, I hope this file stops the rumor that you NEED 3 people to escape from jail. I HAVE DONE IT WITH 2 REPEATEDLY!!!! !! :) Had to get that out of my system.Site Movements
New Site Hosted!
The Quake2 Depo has up and moved to VortexQ. Also, they now have 121 levels for Quake2 reviewed, with more coming daily.
The Body Shop now resides over at LogicQuest. Go check out their player plug-in models and skins, as well as a messageboard and top 10 list.