MGS (Map Generating System) is a command-line prog, that reads instructions in a text file, and generates quake2 map files. Newest features have made it very convenient to use. You can for example:Straight from the developer, this tool sounds like it will be a valuable resource for Q2 map makers.
include and translate other map files (prefabs) create customizable corridors, (specifying length) and add the output to preexistent map files.
Quake Domain's Quake 2 server list now includes servers from id Software's Quake 2 master. Just set "public 1" and your server will automatically show up in the server list at http://www.gameaholic.com/servers/quake2/, as well as in all search engines on the site. Of course server ops should still add their locations at http://www.gameaholic.com/q-adds.htm.Contest Watch
Battle of the Sexes v2.7He also e-mailed us the bit of news:
New to this version is the Captain promotion key, decoy grendes, poison and much more:
*** WARNING: This still uses Quake2 v3.10... This will NOT work with Quake2 v3.12! This is a server side only release. ***
1) Captain promotion key
*) Captain can drop the key anywhere and pick it up again later
*) Captain can only promote when holding key
*) Only captain can pick up the promotion key for his team
*) When captain dies the key is dropped
*) If enemy gets promotion key it is destroyed along with the all the promotions for the team. The enemy also gets an automatic promotion if his/her team has a captain. The captain gets a new promotion key once an enemy destroys the old one.
2) Captain gets promoted once his team has reached a certain level. You must have at least one other person on your team. Level 1: Max ammo and best armor Level 2: Gets grapple
3) Captain can create ammo and items using "cmd create" command
4) Infiltrators get decoy grenades. They work the same as proximity grenades except they look like a normal rotating weapon. Fun to drop these around dead bodies. :)
5) Nurses can poison health. Nurses activate poison using "cmd poison" and turn off poison using "cmd poison" again. When poison is on, all health touched over maximum health of nurse is poisoned. If someone picks up poisoned health they are damaged by double the amount of poisoned health (don't pick up a posioned megahealth for grins :) ). If the player does not die from the poison he/she will be disoriented for 10 seconds after taking poison. The only way to remove poison is for a nurse to run over the poison without the poison activated. This applies the antidote.
6) Voting will reset after three minutes if a new map is not selected by a majority of the players
7) If autoid is on and you die, when you respawn it will still be on
8) New "cmd locatekey" command that will give you the distance you are from your key if its at its base or has been dropped. It will also tell you who is carrying it if an enemy has picked it up.
9) New "cmd locatepromo" command that will give you the distance you are from your captains promotion key if it has been dropped. It will also tell you who your captain is if he/she is carrying the promotion key. If you do not have a captain this command will display an error telling you your team does not have a captain.
10) If Kamikazee suicides with Apocalypse it causes a level-wide 5 second earthquake that affects all players
11) Kamikazee can toggle the rewiring of prox grenades on and off using "cmd autorewire". If turned off, the prox grenades blow up and hurt the kamikazee just like any other class. By default the kamikazee has autorewire turned off.
12) Grappling hook costs cells. For Men (because they are heavier) to fire the hook it costs 50 cells. For Women the cost is 25 cells.
13) Gamespy tab has been updated
1) Flash grenades no longer go through walls
2) Bodyguard now correctly saves people from Kamikazee suicides
3) When a Kamikazee rewires a proximity grenade it removes the ownership of that grenade from the original player. Meaning the original player gets one of their proximity grenades back to throw again.
4) No more lost keys. The team keys and promotion keys will regenerate themselves if they are lost for some reason.
Added compatibility with new Quake2 CTF maps released by Zoid!You heard the man! Go get it! (If you still have 3.10, that is.)
How you ask? Without the point release?
Well to use the CTF maps you don't need the point release. You can keep 3.10 on your hard drive and install the CTF patch without installing the point release. Then use the icon installed on your desktop to start Quake2 CTF and connect to your favorite "Battle of the Sexes" server that is running verson 2.7.1. You will then be able to play BotS using the new CTF maps by Zoid! Woohoo!
If you're running a server, all you need to do is copy the pak0.pak file out of the "ctf" directory and into your "bots" directory. Thats it!)
This was implemented very soon after the 2.7 release. I did not anticipate it being as easy to implement as it was so I ended up releasing 2.7.1 only an hour after 2.7. My guess is that none even downloaded 2.7. If you did, you will want to get 2.7.1.
Concerning the connection tweaks you mention on Thursday...GameSpy Tabs
I surfed around and gathered up all the utils mentioned in Crime's instructions... and I thought that it'd be nice if no one else had to search as much as I did, so I put together a zip file... it includes Crime's original instructions, and all the files mentioned in it. All you have to do is download and install. I included a text file also, with a few things I discovered that Crime failed to mention...
The main zip file (4.33MB):
The text file I wrote:
Hope you find this helpful! :)
Play Thresh at Quake II ContestNew DM Level Pack
Play Thresh at Quake II! Your chance to beat the world champ in the PC Gamer Pro-Am Invitational Classic.
PC Gamer columnist Dennis "Thresh" Fong has agreed to take on 10 lucky PC Gamer readers in an Internet game to be played on a secret PC Gamer Quake II server at 6pm PST on Tuesday, March 3rd. It's sure to be a frag-fest beyond.
Thanks Darkviper :)
Please check it out before Thursday, February 26th, 1998 here.